LEARN MORE ABOUT OUR GUIDING PRINCIPLES AND SYSTEMS:
- First watch this virtual tour video which will take you through the day of an Acton Academy student.
- Further watch these videos: (1) TEDx video from Jeff Sandefer, (2) Sal Khan on learning for mastery, and (3) Sugata Mitra on the future of learning – to understand our learning methodology.
- These blog posts from Laura Sandefer very nicely show what it takes to be parents of a Tej Acton Academy child.
- Explore our Tej Acton Academy Elementary Blog to see highlights of the magic from our first year.
RECAP OF OUR IMMERSION DAY
At our recent Immersion Day parents had the opportunity to experience a day in the life of a child at Tej Acton Academy. In small groups, they went through a Socratic Discussion with our Guide, Kyle; a goal-setting session, and slides on understanding mastery-based academics and accountability systems in Tej Acton with Meera (Head of School) and Alexandra (Coordinator); and a Scavenger Hunt to tour the classrooms and see our systems in action with Vibha (Kindergarten Guide) and Srujal (Director). They also got to interact with and ask questions to our current students, parents, staff and founders. It was an incredible experience and loads of fun.
Below is a summary of points reviewed through slides with all of our attendees:
- Where traditional schools focus mostly on learning to know (regurgitation of information) – Learning to Learn, Learning to Do, and Learning to Be is at the heart of Acton’s learning design. Dive deeper here: https://tejactonacademy.org/our-method/
- With an emphasis on one’s Hero’s Journey, students are inspired to take ownership and find purpose in one’s learning. We treat our learners as Heroes, who are earlier along in their journey than us, and not as “just kids”.
- Mastery-based learning prevents gaps in learning and builds a solid foundation in core subjects.
- Our self-paced approach allows learners to excel without pressure or comparison. Being able to spend time where the child needs is actually more efficient than the traditional route and means we don’t need to assign any homework to our students.
- Clear thinking leads to actions that forge good habits and strong character through daily activities such as Socratic discussions, writer’s workshops, D.E.A.R. time (Drop Everything and Read), meditation, yoga, and learner-driven covenants.
- Real-world hands-on projects make learning subjects such as science, entrepreneurship, robotics, art, and history fun and engaging.Accountability systems with a supportive community of mixed-aged learners; Guides who inspire and equip learners to grow; adaptive-software and systems to track goals, progress and mastery including for character-traits; and coordination with parents to reinforce the same growth-mindset at home.
- Proven Track Record: As the largest and fastest growing micro-school community with over 270 locations in 20 countries around the world, Acton Academy’s methods are setting the standard of what a 21st century education should be.
DID NOT GET TO ATTEND OUR MOST RECENT IMMERSION DAY?
We encourage interested families to schedule a small-group tour or a phone call with us using the links below: